so, I keep going on and on about how I'm going to do a new, and revised translation of Phantom Of The G4, given that I am fluently bilingual in both Chinese and English. well, today I had the urge to translate... a certain segment of the game, both to see what I'm getting myself into, and to confirm the things I've heard it means for a certain character. that, of course, being my dearly beloved, Victor. specifically, his only appearance in POTG4 where he asks Vincent and Vanora a series of questions in order to let them pass deeper into the Myers facility.
I don't have the game itself, yet. because I abide by the rules to play VTSOM first. instead, I found a video of someone's playthrough of it - the audio is in Chinese, and not all dialogue options are covered. but in the meantime, this is quite a lot...
without further ado, my translation, notes and other commentary below the cut. Victor's lines are in red, Vincent's in purple, and Vanora's in pink.
想要我讓開很簡單。你只需要回答一些我的問題。
If you want me to make way, it’s very easy. You just need to answer some of my questions.
the player is given a yes/no prompt, and selects yes
很好。
Very good.
我們上次見面是什麼時候了,文森?
When was the last time we met, Vincent?
你以為我會記得這種事?真是自作多情。
You think that I’d remember this sort of thing? What wishful thinking.
(Note: The second sentence was a bit difficult to translate bc there’s several meanings to this phrase 自作多情 (literally "self-make-many-feelings"), from being overly sentimental to self-flattery/imagining yourself as everyone’s favourite person)
是這樣嗎?
Is that so?
難道你不記得你我引以為傲的那件事了?我們那時候到達的是任何人都無比渴求的巔峰。
Could it be that you don’t remember what we were so proud of? What we had reached then was a peak everyone had been longing for.
而你卻說過,財富、知識、榮耀…
And still, you have said: wealth, knowledge, glory...
player is given 3 options to finish his sentence:
是每個人都渴求的。 "… are what everyone longs for."
都毫無意義。 "… are completely and utterly meaningless."
不過是權力幾種類型。 "… are just various forms of power."
the player picks the second option
你這句話就已經背叛了來這裡的初衷了。
What you said here goes against your original intention to come here.
我隱約記得,文森·埃奇沃思從來不會後悔。
From what I vaguely remember, Vincent Edgeworth never, ever regrets.
最可怕的敵人,就是沒有堅強的信念。而能夠被輕易擊敗的人根本不配存在於這個世界上。
The scariest enemy, is to lack strong belief. And people who can be easily defeated are not worthy of existing upon this world.
he kills you with one smack of his metal hand. game over, go back to previous save…
this time the player picks the third option of above
而我們已經擁有了這些,甚至更多。
And we already had these, if not even more.
我們?別開玩笑了。
"We?" Stop joking around.
財富、知識、榮耀。沒有我哪一個你能保住?
Wealth, knowledge, glory. Without me, which one could you have kept?
沒記錯的話,你還因為此時欠在下一瓶酒。
If I’m not remembering wrong, you still owe me the next bottle of alcohol for this.
(Note: In Chinese, the word they use can both specifically refer to wine, and all kinds of alchohol in general.)
一如既往的自負,你還是嗜馬丁尼如命?
Conceited as always, and still so fond of/addicted to martini like your life depends on it?
(Note: Is the "addiction" literal or metaphorical? Maybe both? Truly we will never know.)
這還需要在下解釋?
Do I still have to explain this further?
的確,好的基酒對一杯馬丁尼十分重要。
Indeed, a good base spirit is essential for a martini.
3 dialogue options for the player again, all with the following structure:
所以我當然不會放過到手的頂級⋯。
"And so, of course I will always have some top tier [option below] on hand."
杜松子酒 gin
(Note: Literally "juniper berry wine" which I didn’t recognise at first bc usually I see it written as 琴酒 which reflects it phonetically)
白蘭地 brandy
伏特加 vodka
the player picks the third option
伏特加?你以為自己是在調製什麼?
Vodka? Just what do you think you are mixing here?
player gets two options to answer him with:
一杯血腥瑪麗。
A Bloody Mary.
一杯激情海岸。
A "Passion Coast".
(Note: I've done some rudimentary research on cocktails, but have never heard of something with a name like this. If anyone knows what this is, I'd appreciate the help. EDIT: a friend of mine on discord has informed me that it's most likely referring to the cocktail called Sex On The Beach)
player picks first option
血腥瑪麗?人道,「惟有經歷諸多苦難才能懂的苦難賦予你的意義」。
Bloody Mary? People say, "only by experiencing much suffering can you understand the meaning the suffering bestowed upon you."
虛假的苦難,虛假的血腥。這和你的過去比起來算什麼?
False suffering, false blood. How does this even compare to your past?
我親愛的文森,你都已經忘記了你所承受的一切嗎?那你的存在就沒有意義了嗎?
My dear Vincent, have you forgotten all that you’ve had to go through? And now your existence no longer has meaning?
he kills you, game over, go back to previous save
player picks vodka again and then second option of above
激情海岸?一向只喜歡乾身酒的你,怎麼可能喝這些果汁飲品呢。
Passion Coast? You’ve always only liked dry cocktails, how could you drink this kind of fruity/juice based beverage?
and again, he kills you. bro, stop judging people's taste in drinks 😭
player picks gin for the original question
這個自然。等我們從這個鬼地方出去,我給你便是。
Naturally. Once we get out of this damn/accursed place, I’ll give you some.
慢著,那件事指的是什麼?
Wait a second, what do you mean by "that thing/event/incident" ?
(Note: I take it she’s referring to the above "what we were so proud of" thing)
薇諾拉,「好奇心是大腦貪求的慾望」。慾念太強對身體可不好呢。
Vanora, curiosity is a desire the brain craves. And to desire for it too strongly is not good for the body.
看來你的這位同伴想知道的格外多呢。
Looks like this companion of yours knows quite a lot.
作為一名律師,我能做的僅僅只能讓人摒棄自己的信仰罷了。她的好奇心與我無關。
As a lawyer, all I can do is make people abandon their own beliefs. Her curiosity has nothing to do with me.
沒想到你也有無能為力的一天?
And you didn’t think you’d also have a day where you’d be powerless?
對方可是要以妨害執行公務的罪名將我逮捕呢,你說是吧,薇諾拉女士?
The other side/party wants to capture me for interfering with official duties. Isn’t that so, Miss/Lady Vanora?
哈哈哈。堂堂梅爾斯職業律師居然會因此害怕?
Hahaha. The dignified professional lawyer of Myers is scared of this?
再厲害也不過是一個俗人,出生起就已經被政府的一紙契約束縛著了。
No matter how mighty one is they are still a common person, already bound by a government contract at birth.
這麼說來,我突然想起你當年引用的一句話。不帶劍的契約不過是一紙空文…
What you said, suddenly reminds me of something you said back then. A contract without a sword, is simply a blank paper.
player is given 3 options now, to respond:
而政府的職責,便是化身為此劍。 And the government’s duty is to manifest as this sword.
它毫無力量去保障任何人的安全。 It has absolutely no power to protect anyone’s safety.
只有突破這本不存在的枷鎖,才能真正跳出羊圈。 Only by breaking these nonexistent shackles can one truly jump out of the sheepfold.
player picks the third option
跳出羊圈?真是荒謬。
"Jump out of the sheepfold?" How ridiculous.
有一些人的存在,是註定不能被救贖的。
Some people’s existences are doomed to never be redeemed.
and again he kills you, because dragon cult ahh belief
player picks the first option
…真是有趣的答案。
… what an interesting/funny answer.
(Note: Yes, in Chinese we use the same word for both of these)
不過我倒還記得一句話,地獄是太晚發覺的真相。那麼恭喜你獲得一張免費的地獄門票。
However, this reminds me of another saying, "hell is a truth/reality discovered too late." And so, congratulations on earning a free ticket to hell.
this time he isn't just killing you, he's SLAYING because holy shit if that isn't badass I don't know what is
player picks the remaining second option
話雖如此,你可是從來沒有怕過。
You say this, but you’ve never been afraid of it before.
我們都是遊走在劍鋒的人,這一點你沒資格說我。
We’re all people who walk on the point of a sword, you have no right to tell me this.
那你回到此地是為了什麼?
Then why did you come back to this place?
and again, 3 dialogue options for the player
任何東西都有一種特有的功能,某種工作或許只有它能做。 Everything has a unique function, and there are some jobs that only it can do.
無論這個漩渦有多令人絕望,我總是要走這一遭的。 No matter how hopeless this whirlpool/spiral/vortex will make me, I was always going to walk this path.
在下解釋過了是受人所迫。 I’ve explained that I was forced to do this.
player picks the third option
受人所迫?
"Forced?"
文森,任何人用這個藉口我都會半信半疑一下。至於你,我是絕對不會信的。
Vincent, everyone who uses this excuse, I will doubt (literally, "half-believe-half-suspect") for a moment. And in your case, I would never believe it.
and he kills you. we are so close to the end, yet so far…
player picks the first option, which becomes slightly modified for Vincent to say
任何東西都有一屬於它自己的功能。某種工作或許只有它能做,甚至比其他人更好。
Everything has its own function. There are some jobs that only it can do, sometimes better than other people, even.
真正的贏家只會讓這件東西為他所用,並讓他物超所值。弱肉強食,我只是不想看庸人螳臂擋車罷了。
True winners will only use this thing for their own ends, and give it an excellent value. The weak are meat and the strong eat, I just don’t want to see mediocre people biting off more than they can chew.
(Note: The phrase they used here, 螳臂擋車, literally translates to "a mantis using its arm to block a cart", meaning to underestimate what you’re taking on)
所以,請問你問完了嗎?你已經浪費了我太多的時間了。
So, may I please ask if you’re done asking? You’ve already wasted far too much of my time.
確實。你做的很好,文森。我想,我也沒什麼好多說的了。
Indeed. You did very well, Vincent. I think I don’t have anything more to say either.