Encanto major spoilers alert!
I’ve noticed a theory going around that Mirabel will inherit Abuela’s position as candle-bearer, and although this is an interesting idea, I would like to point out that there actually might not be a candle at all anymore.
At the start of the movie we see the magic spread out from the candle creating the enchanted Casita.
But at the end of the movie after the family have rebuilt the house with the help of the villagers, the magic spreads out from the doorknob Mirabel takes hold of.
The carvings on the door don’t show Abuela or anyone else holding the candle anymore.
And I watched closely and although there were normal-looking thin candles in the new house here and there, there was no ‘magical’ candle anywhere to be found.
The doors were also in that sparkly state of flux for the ending, so the carving with Abuela holding the candle that was on her door earlier in the movie wasn’t visible either. Perhaps it will never return and isn’t meant to.
So the magic the family has is no longer from the candle that originated from Abuelo’s sacrifice and Abuela’s desire to protect her family, but is now from the family’s acceptance of one another and themselves in all their imperfections, especially in how Abuela embraces Mirabel as just as special as the other family members even without a magical gift.
Perhaps Abuela carrying the candle around at times was symbolic of her carrying her worries about the magic one day disappearing if she and her family couldn’t stay worthy of the magical gift. She wanted to keep it close. She wanted to keep it safe.
So there not being a frail flame for her to carry around anymore could very well symbolize how she is no longer burdened by the fear they will lose their magic. None of the Madrigals are, because together they know their worth, their courage, and their family bonds don’t come from a magical candle. They simply exist. So they’ll be just fine.
ALL THE MADRIGALS
All are available on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1170257281/preorder-encanto-accessories
Comment your favorite! I'm so happy with how this series turned out! I hope everyone loves them as much as I do 🥺.
MY PATREONS GOT TO SEE THIS WAY AHEAD OF YOU ALL! You too can sign up to see my art before everyone else 👀. https://www.patreon.com/Imaplatypus
“Bruno left our family because you always saw the worst in him”
“Bruno didn’t care about this family”
it kinda just hit me that bruno would have heard this entire interaction between abuela alma and mirabel, where he would have heard his own mother saying that he (bruno) “didnt care about the family” which we all know is completely not true, and that she “always saw the worst in him”
now the stuff that bruno says where he stands up to abuela breaks my heart even more, especially when you can hear how hurt he sounds and looks when he says
“I don’t care what you think of me”
The Madrigals + text posts (4/?)
Image descriptions under the cut
1. Pepa and Félix dancing, back to chest, in their wedding clothes. Pepa is smiling and looking away while he’s looking at her. knightlyhoods’ post reads “listen……. ‘my love’ is literally the strongest and greatest pet name in existence. there is literally nothin better than somone callin you that….. especially when things are soft and quiet and they look at you with utter adoration and whisper “what’s the matter, my love??” or “i hope everything is okay with you, my love” like oh my god?? let me marry you already”
2. Dolores and Mariano holding hands. sweatermuppet’s post says “there is already a lot of bad poetry out there & u must not be afraid of adding to it”
3. Abuela’s hands holding an oval locket with a picture of Pedro. land0fmilkandhoneyy's post says "'you're so pretty' ok so wear my picture in a heart shaped locket"
4. Mirabel resting her head on Abuela's shoulder as they hug. dimitrescs' post says "she's an irredeemable villain TO YOU. I understood her though."
5. Camilo and Antonio standing next to each other, both pointing in the same direction, antonio with a thumb, camilo with both index fingers. camilo is looking at antonio, confused, while antonio looks smug and confident. two text posts are placed by their heads like speech bubbles. aay-junipei posts reads "why rats gotta have little grabby hands? give man a cheerio and he eats it like a bagel" theaccursedrat replies "you complaining? you complaining about the little man and his bagel?"
6. A sad Julieta and Agustin looking at Abuela. thebowltender’s post reads “moms be like “your emotional causes ME emotional pain and that is what we will be focusing on today””
7. Félix in an open doorway, hand and index finger pointed up, face passionate. arabskaya-devushka’s post says “idk who decided talking about weather is small talk. it’s very important talkt to me i want to discuss the rain and the sun and the emperatures monocle emoji”
8. Julieta in the kitchen, hands clasped, looking somber. two posts from phantomrose96 combined into one read "babygirl i go through spoons faster than you can even imagine - everyone tagging this "i thought this was about spoon theory" that works too. here, you can have this post. it's yours now. if you need me i'll be emptying my ungodly overfilled cutlery bin from the dishwasher."
9. Agustín turned to the side, swollen from bee stings, smiling. sweatmuppet's post says "don't worry honey you stay in bed i'll cook breakfast *sounds of heavey machinery running for 45 minutes & i return covered in coal dust, holding two plates of perfectly cooked eggs, bacon & toast*"
10. Camilo crouched over, looking over at an off-screen Mirabel too see if she noticed him trying to spin his shovel and then drop it on the ground. moonlightduelist's post reads "i would make an excellent goon. i'd be like "on it boss" and then i'd fuck it up instantly."
My gramma is 96, born February 1926, and has officially outlived the queen!